Thursday 8 October 2009

Tuesday 15th September

Sad, sad day. Our holiday has come to an end, our flight home is today and we're really NOT ready to leave. It feels like we just got here. We didn't have enough time in Seattle, or enough time in San Diego. Sigh...

We spent the morning cramming everything into suitcases and getting ready for the drive Los Angeles. We left in plenty of time, and the journey ended up only taking 2 hours. Lots of interesting stuff on the journey.


The stole all our town names!


Lovely...


The pacific ocean from the I-5, somewhere south of LA.


A big bird in the sky, or a reflection of Vinny? Both are cool.

I totally lost it and cried like a big girl’s blouse when Vinny dropped us off and drove away at the airport.  :-(

The flight home was nice. Did I mention somewhere before that business class rocks? We boarded first and they came around with champagne, while we were waiting for the peasants to board. ;-)

Despite the fact that you're "supposed" to stow everything and sit still during take-off, I took a few pictures of us leaving Los Angeles.




Goodbye Los Angeles.


Goodbye California.

10 hours goes quite quickly when you're being constantly fed. We had a 3 course dinner, watched a couple of movies (the new Terminator film and Angels & Demons). Then I had a bit of a sleep. Suddenly it was time for breakfast. Not just any old breakfast - a 3 course breakfast! Totally stuffed.

Before we had time to go completely stir crazy, we were back, landing at Heathrow. Went to the passport control desk at the UK border and OH BOY! what a culture shock. After spending 2 weeks being treated in a civil and polite way, it really took me back to be confronted by the grumpy fucker at passport control. We'd been in the country for 10 minutes, and Mark was looking at me and saying "Why the hell did we come back here?" My sentiments exactly. If I didn't have to work, I'd move to the USA in a heart-beat. However, until I win the lottery, it ain't going to happen. Not enough holiday. I couldn't give up my 25 days, no way.

The rest of the journey home was boring and miserable. We spent an hour on the tube, an hour on the train, then a 10 minute walk with 4 suitcases to Mark’s parents' house. It was nice to get our first 'proper' cup of tea in 2 weeks though.

I was then faced with trying to remember how to drive. It felt weird being on the left hand side of the road.

Thankfully I only had 2 days worth of dirty clothes to contend with when we got home, as I’d got 2 lots of washing done while we were away. That was a weight off. There's nothing more depressing than the post-holiday washing pile.

Tried to beat the jetlag by staying awake till 10pm, then slept for 9 hours. Back to work the next day.
Urgh.....
It worked for a couple of days, but the jetlag REALLY kicked in, along with the post-holiday blues at the weekend. I spent a week looking at emmigration and job sites, before I was finally able to let it go.

We had the BEST time. Thank you to all of our amazing friends who made it so much fun and so memorable. Love you all. Here's hoping it isn't too long before we can do it again. We're already saving!
3 weeks next time - and it'll include Boston too.

No comments:

Post a Comment